WhatsApp is a synonym of text messaging nowadays. Do you know anyone who uses a smartphone and is not using WhatsApp? Such people are rare, very rare! There are around 2 billion WhatsApp users across the globe. These numbers prove WhatsApp’s popularity and the love users shower on it. It has been more than a decade since WhatsApp is available.
WhatsApp regularly enhances its functionality and provides new features. WhatsApp, which started its journey as an instant messaging mobile application, rolled out a calling feature in 2015. In January 2015, WhatsApp introduced WhatsApp Web functionality, where users can use WhatsApp on their computers.
WhatsApp Web gave a big relief to all those users who work from computers all day and night and use WhatsApp along with. WhatsApp web always had very good sync with the mobile version. Almost all the functionalities were similar on WhatsApp’s web version and mobile version, the Calling feature being the exception.
Since very long WhatsApp was planning to launch the Calling feature for its web version. And finally, it is out for the users! The wait is over. Now, users can call through WhatsApp’s web version. Voice & Video calls on WhatsApp Web is now a real thing. WhatsApp rolled out the calling feature for the web version with the below statement.
Sometimes you just need a little more space. Secure and reliable, end-to-end encrypted voice and video calls are now available on our desktop app.
WhatsApp’s web version now supports Voice Call and Video Call functionality just like its mobile version. As claimed by WhatsApp, all the calls, whether it is from a phone or a computer, are end-to-end encrypted. So, WhatsApp can’t hear the calls and provides you the utmost security.
Steps to enable the Voice and Video calling features on the WhatsApp Web.
- Download and install the latest version of the WhatsApp Application on your computer.
- Make sure you have the Internet connection on your Computer and on your Phone.
- Make sure that you have either an in-built microphone and speaker or connected it externally. Please allow WhatsApp to use it.
- For Video Calls, make sure that you either have an in-built webcam in your system or connected it externally. Please allow WhatsApp to use it.
- Open the WhatsApp Web Application on your computer. You’ll see the QR Code on the screen.
- Open WhatsApp mobile application and select the WhatsApp Web from the three dots on the top-right corner of the screen(for Android users). You’ll see the QR Code scanner screen on your mobile screen.
- Scan the QR Code on the WhatsApp Web Application.
- Open the individual chats and click on the voice or video call icons to place the call.
Voice & Video calls on WhatsApp Web can be done in individual chats only. Currently, in WhatsApp’s web version, a calling feature is not supported for groups. It is supported for one-to-one calls only. The company is said to extend this functionality for Group Chats as well in future releases.
DiGiTAL BiRYANi is determined to share the best digital tips, tricks, and information. Feel free to share your feedback. It is very important for us to serve you all the best possible information.