In Professional Communication, email plays a significant role. The majority of corporation conducts internal and external communication via email. Emails have provided great ease by eliminating conventional ways of communication like letters, pajors, etc. Corporate communications often involve highly confidential and secret information sharing. Hence security needs to be the top priority in email communication.
Over time, email communication has become more secure. Emails have many features such as email encryption and password-protected emails, etc. They have ensured the security of email communication. In this blog, DiGiTAL BiRYANi has come up with the implementation of these security techniques in our daily email communication. We’ll discuss How to send password-protected emails and confidential emails.
What is Email Encryption?
Email Encryption is a process that converts the content of an email from readable format to secret ciphertext. This ciphertext is understandable only to the intended parties, i.e., sender and receivers. So, when the sender sends an email to the receiver, during transmission it will be converted to ciphertext / algorithmic codes. Moreover, at the receiver end, it will be decrypted to the original format which the sender sent. However, all this encryption and decryption process is done at the back end. So, as an end-user, you don’t realize any major change. This process gives extra security to your email communication. It prevents unauthorized entities from spying on the communication process.
What is Password Protected Email?
Password protection feature protects your email by allowing it to open with the specific password set by the sender. While sending anything important or secret, the sender should protect the particular email conversation with a password. The sender usually sends passwords through some other channel of communication like SMS, calls, etc. This helps you to maintain secrecy for important financial, legal, and other documents and information. So, if you can send password-protected emails you can provide extra security to your email communication.
Send Confidential Emails In Gmail
Gmail provides this Confidential Email feature to make your email communication secure and safe. Confidential mode has some great features. It allows the user to send password-protected emails. The receiver receives passwords in the form of SMS. Along with password protection, it permits the sender to set an expiry date for the email while composing.
Let’s have a detailed look over this gem feature.
- Login to your gmail and select compose an email option.
- Draft your email and after that click on the clock icon at the bottom-right corner of the message.
- You’ll get an option to set the expiry date for your email. Gmail automatically removes the confidential email from the receiver’s inbox on the mentioned expiry date. Similarly, there is an option to enable a password-protection feature for confidential email.
- If you select the SMS passcode, you’ll get an option to enter the receiver’s mobile number. Your receiver will receive the passcode in SMS. It is only possible to open an email using that passcode.
- Here is one thing to note: the receiver cannot forward, copy, print, or download Confidential emails.
Send Confidential Emails In Outlook
Microsoft Outlook provides an Encryption Email feature only to its premium users. So, if you’re a Microsoft Office365 E3 plan holder, you can use the Outlook Email Encryption feature. After subscribing to the Office365 E3 plan, you just need to follow the below steps to send encrypted emails.
- Login to your Outlook account from the desktop app.
- Compose new email, select Options, choose Encrypt and select the encryption option you want to follow, Encrypt-Only or Do Not Forward.
Send Password Protected Email Attachments In Outlook and Gmail
Sending password-protected attachments adds an extra layer of security to our email communication. Despite encryption, you can still secure the attachments you are sending along with your email by following the steps below.
- Install any File Archiver software like WinRar, 7Zip, etc. Here we’ll explain the steps using WinRar.
- Right-click on the document you want to send as an attachment and select Add to archive.
- You’ll get various options to archive the file. Select the Set Password option from the various options. You can select the archive type(rar, zip, etc.) for the file from the drop-down of the Archive name.
- Set password from the next screen and click on Ok. After this, no one can open the file without a password.
- The file you are intending to send as an attachment is password protected. Send it as an attachment on any email platform, regardless of whether you use Outlook, Gmail, or another it will be protected by a password. You need to share the password with the intended audience through any channel like SMS, phone call, or personally.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can these tricks guarantee email security?
These tricks provide extra layers of security to your email communication. However, it is always advisable to maintain all the security and safety measures while communicating online.
Are algorithmic and coding skills necessary to encrypt email communication using any of the tricks mentioned here?
No. The tricks mentioned here are explained in-depth and do not require any such knowledge. You can easily implement them using the steps mentioned here.
As you know, we aim to help our Digital Community to boost their Digital Productivity, but productivity is nothing without security. We collected some of the most useful and efficient ways to secure your email communication. We wish to help maximum email users by helping them secure their email communication. As a result, we covered Gmail and Outlook, which are two of the most popular Internet service providers.
Please feel free to reach out to us if you need any assistance in your Digital Journey. We are ready to help you. If you want a Blog on any specific topic from us, feel free to drop a comment or contact us. Your feedback is very important to us.